Quick Snack: Yamarita Recipe
If you grew up in Nigeria and you were a fan of TFC and never tried out their yamarita, you missed out on a lot. Yamarita is a snack (meal for some) that is made with the core ingredients of yam, eggs and flour. It can be eaten with a dip of choice or by itself. We suggest you always eat it with a dip on the side.
What you will need
- 6 slices of yam (cut into rectangles)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp dry pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Oil for frying
- In a pot, boil some water. Add your sliced yam and some sugar and salt.
- Boil yam for about 10 minutes; do not make it too soft. Drain the water out of the yam.
- In a bowl, break your eggs and season with some salt and black pepper. Whisk.
- In a separate bowl, pour some flour. Add your curry, black pepper, dry pepper, some salt, and mix together.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat some oil to fry the yam. You can also use a deep fryer.
- When your oil is hot and ready for frying, dip yam in egg until well coated and then roll in flour.
- Repeat again by dipping yam in egg a second time, then roll in flour again before putting in oil to fry.
- Repeat these steps until you run out of yam.
Instead of the regular spicy salsa sauce that’s eaten with this snack, I decided to make a spicy chicken salsa sauce and it came together so well.