That’s How I Roll
Ever wanted cake for breakfast?? Well I have and I have had my cake and eaten it too. I love to start the day with something sweet, normally a coffee cake with a nice cup of tea.
As you know, we love everything spiced up at our bakery. Sprinkled & Spiced is most famously known for the use of cinnamon, from our snicker doodle cookies to our Mexican mocha frappe, but one item stands out from the crowd and seems to have costumers rushing in for that mid-day snack, is our cinnamon roll.
Cinnamon rolls are very time consuming and requires high skill level and a lot of time. So I created an alternative pastry/cake to satisfy your cinnamon roll kick, without the use of yeast or time for proofing the dough.
I thought what would happen if a cinnamon roll and a coffee cake had a baby what would it taste like? How would it look? And most of all how can I make that? After a lot of trial and error and many bites later, the “Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Cake” was born.
Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Cake
A buttery vanilla madeira cake with sticky cinnamon spiced sauce baked in.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- 250g all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 100ml milk
- 75gram brown sugar
- 75gram icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 50g butter
- 1tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9inch baking pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to medium; beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each and scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in 2 batches, beating until just incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Tap pans on counter; smooth tops with an offset spatula.
- Add all cinnamon swirl ingredients in a large bowl and mix using a wooden spoon or a hand held mixer till smooth and combined.
- Fill a plastic piping bag or zip lock bag with the cinnamon mixture and pip a swirl around the cake in a circular motion to create a cinnamon roll like swirl on the cake batter.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 45-60 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 30 minutes. Turn out cakes onto rack to cool completely.
scroll down for pictures below.
For more yummy desserts and pastries visit us at our bakery, Sprinkled & Spiced
27 Ribadu (By Norma William Gate), Ikoyi Lagos and Follow us on Instagram @sprinkledspiced for special offers and promotions.