Foods You Shouldn’t Feed Your Pets
Can a little reward from the table really hurt your pet? Well, that depends on what it is. As a responsible pet owner, you’ve likely heard how chocolate and canines don’t mix well for your pet – and if you haven’t, well, now you know. But the story doesn’t end there: what about grapes, ice cream, onions and many other foods there are? Well read on as you learn for yourself what you should and shouldn’t feed your pet.
Avocado is primarily a problem for birds, rabbits, donkeys, horses, and ruminants including sheep. It contains a substance called persin which is harmless only for humans who aren’t allergic to the fruit. The biggest concern however is for cardiovascular damage and death in birds, for dogs, the flesh might not exactly be a problem although quantity of consumption matters. However, try not to allow dog feed on the seed or peel.
Nuts, including almonds, Hickory Nuts, pecans, Pistachios and walnuts, contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets. Much more in Macadamia nuts, as few as six raw or roasted macadamias can make pets ill. Symptoms of poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness, rapid heart rate, vomiting and elevated body temperature. Eating chocolate with the nuts makes symptoms worse, possibly leading to death. That said, only these nuts are allowed for pets: Peanuts, Hazelnuts and Cashew nuts.
3. Milk and Other Dairies
Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset in pets as it is for humans who are lactose intolerant. Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), they naturally react in form of diarrhea, uneasiness or other digestive upset. You might need to consult your veterinary doctor for more guidance.
4. Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic in powder, raw or cooked forms -can destroy a dog’s red blood cells. An occasional small dose is probably OK. But eating a large quantity in foods just once or eating smaller amounts regularly can cause poisoning. Symptoms of anemia include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness.
5. Grapes and Raisins
Grapes are a perfect food for cats but a no-go for dogs. Although grapes and raisins have often been used as treats for dogs reasons to that hasn’t been known yet, still it’s not a good idea. Ingestion of grapes or raisins can lead to acute kidney failure, a potentially life threatening condition. The grape toxin works in mysterious ways and some dogs will be severely affected while others will carry on unharmed. If you notice loss of energy, loss of appetite, or vomiting, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal. While Beer, liquor, wine, and other foods containing alcohol can affect the liver in a bad way. The same effect it has on humans replays itself in pets. Just a little can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, problems with coordination, difficulty breathing, coma and even death; the smaller the dog, the greater the effect. Caffeine can be found in cocoa, chocolate, colas, beans and stimulant drinks such as Red Bull. It’s also in some cold medicines and pain killers.