11 killed in fresh attacks in Plateau
Again, 11 people were killed on Tuesday in a fresh violence in Dyam-Rim village in Plateau State. The victims were reported to be returning from a night market in Rim village, located in Riyom Local Council Area. The spokesman of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Captain Adam Umar, confirmed that eight people had been confirmed dead, while four were critically injured.
According to him, troops of the OPSH were deployed in the area, adding that the unknown gunmen fled before the troops could get to the scene of the incident. Umar explained that the troops were in the thick forest, hills and mountains to arrest and bring the perpetrators to justice. He said the military and other security agencies were also on top of the situation, as they had embarked on cordon-and-search tactics to facilitate their arrest. “The Commander of Operation Safe Haven, Major-General Anthony Atolagbe, the Chief of Staff of the Operation, Brigadier General A.M. Bello, and other principal staff of the operation visited the place to assess the situation.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state police command, Terna Tyopev, confirmed that 11 people died in the attack. Meanwhile, the National President of the Miyetti-Allah Kautal Hore Fulani, Abdullahi Bello Bodejo, yesterday raised the alarm that they were being persecuted in Benue State. He urged the relevant authorities to intervene to save the children and the elderly who have been displaced by the new anti-open grazing law in the state.
Also, many people were feared killed in communities in Nasarawa State yesterday in Jangaru community in Awe Local Council Area, following attacks by Fulani herdsmen. The herdsmen were suspected to be fleeing to the state to evade the new anti-open grazing law in Benue State. Apart from those killed, many others who were wounded are receiving treatment in some undisclosed hospitals in the area. The farmers urged the state and federal government to save them from further destruction.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the Nasarawa Sate Police command, Idrisu Kenney, also confirmed the attacks, but added that only one person was killed. He, however, said that the command has commenced investigation into the crisis, but no arrest has been made.
No Comments yet