World  

Brussels attacks death toll rises to 35

Police officers take part in an operation in Schaerbeek - Schaarbeek, Brussels, late on March 24, 2016. Six people were arrested on March 24, 2016 in a series of police operations in the Belgian capital, the federal prosecutor's office said, two days after jihadist attacks in Brussels left 31 dead. Raids have also taken place in the Brussels district of Schaerbeek where the three airport attackers left from on March 22 morning carrying three explosive-packed suitcases. There have been no arrests in the neighbourhood. NICOLAS MAETERLINCK / Belga / AFP

Police officers take part in an operation in Schaerbeek – Schaarbeek, Brussels, late on March 24, 2016. Six people were arrested on March 24, 2016 in a series of police operations in the Belgian capital, the federal prosecutor’s office said, two days after jihadist attacks in Brussels left 31 dead. Raids have also taken place in the Brussels district of Schaerbeek where the three airport attackers left from on March 22 morning carrying three explosive-packed suitcases. There have been no arrests in the neighbourhood. NICOLAS MAETERLINCK / Belga / AFP

Belgian officials on Monday raised the death toll from last week’s devastating Islamic State suicide attacks on Brussels airport and the metro to 35.

Officials from the government’s crisis centre said 31 people died at the two attack sites and four had died in hospital. Three bombers were also killed.

“The prosecutor has figures for the people who died at the scene of the crime… and the health authority is responsible for the people who died in hospital in the hours following the attacks,” Belgian prosecutors’ spokeswoman Ine Van Wymersch told reporters.

Belgian authorities had lowered the toll to 28 at the weekend from 31, before raising it back to 31 on Sunday night.

Health Minister Maggie De Block tweeted: “Four patients deceased in hospital. Medical teams did all possible. Total victims: 35. Courage to all the families.”



No Comments yet

Related