ECOWAS postpones judgment in Dasuki’s detention suit indefinitely
Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Court of Justice has adjourned sine die, judgment in the case of former National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki against the Federal Government.
Dasuki has challenged his detention by the Department of the State Security Service (DSS) since December 2015.
The court, presided over by Justice Friday Nwoke had on May 16, reserved judgment till yesterday after taking final argument from Dasuki’s lawyer, Mr. Robert Emukperuo and the government’s lawyer, Mr. Tijani Gazali.
However, lawyers and others were told yesterday that the awaited verdict of the court was not ready and that the new date for the judgment would be communicated to lawyers when ready.
At the court entrance, people were turned back by security personnel, who told them that the court management had mandated them to tell everybody that judgment was not ready.
Dasuki had dragged the Federal Government before the ECOWAS Court praying the regional court to intervene in his detention without trial since December last year.
The ex-NSA asked the court to void the detention, the seizure of his properties and to bar government from further detaining him without a lawful court order.
Dasuki, in the court action instituted by his counsel, Mr. Emukpoeruo, had asked the court to award in his favour the sum of N500 million as compensatory damages for his alleged unlawful invasion of his house, detention, seizure of properties and infringement on his rights.
He claimed that government had put him on trial in three different high courts on corruption charges where he was granted bail and that after his bail, he was re-arrested on December 29, 2015 and has since been held incommunicado without lawful court order.
Dasuki told ECOWAS Court that the Federal Government has no legal or moral justification for his continued incarceration since December last year.