Ese Oruru’s abductor to be prosecuted – Police

Ese Oruru

Ese Oruru

Mr Shuaibu Gambo, the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 1, Kano, said the abductor of Miss Ese Oruru would be prosecuted.

Gambo gave the assurance while addressing a news conference in Kano on Thursday.

He said the abductor of the girl, popularly known as Yunusa Yellow, must face the full wrath of the law in order to serve as deterrent to others who might contemplate committing the same offence.

“The action of Yunusa is a criminal offence. So, he must be prosecuted in accordance with the law of the land,” he said.

He said all those who played any role in the mishandling of the case would also be prosecuted as the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, had already ordered a full scale investigation into the matter.

He, however, exonerated the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, from complicity in the abduction saga.

“Another aspect of this press briefing is to put on record that the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II, had indeed directed that the abducted girl be returned to her parents in Bayelsa, as far back as August 2015.

“Information as obtained from my predecessor, AIG Tambari Yabo, confirmed that His Royal Highness actually sent a delegation, with a letter requesting the police to take back the girl to her parents,” he said.

He, however, explained that the delegation in the company of the girl had arrived very late in the evening to the zone, but that it was agreed by all parties to bring her back the following day to implement the request of the monarch.

“Giving the benefit of hindsight, it is evident that there was a failure of communication as the delegation never returned with the girl for onward transportation to her family and no further report of complaint, whatsoever was received in respect of the case,” he said.



1 Comment
  • dvapologetics

    article about forced marriage/conversion in pakistan:
    Lahore (Agenzia
    Fides) – Nadia Bibi, a Christian girl who was abducted and forced to marry a
    Muslim man, returned to her family, of Catholic faith, after 10 years. Nadia
    was only 15 when, in 2001, she was kidnapped in Mariamabad (in Punjab), a city
    with a Catholic majority: her case is not an isolated case, as confirmed by
    Catholic sources of Fides in Punjab, there are at least 700 cases a year of
    Christian girls kidnapped and forced to marry a Muslim. If one adds the cases
    of Hindu girls, the number rises to 1,800 cases per year, says a recent Report
    carried out by the NGO “Asian Human Rights Commission”. Nadia’s
    parents had turned to the police but, as often happens, they had been
    intimidated and threatened by the kidnappers, while the police refused to
    register a complaint. Later, when they heard that Nadia had been forced to
    marry the Muslim Maqsood Ahmed, her parents went back to the police and this
    time they managed to register a FIR (First Information Report). But the police
    refused to arrest him and the story ended up before the High Court of Lahore.
    Here Nadia, under threats, issued a statement in favor of her husband,
    expressing her free will to marry, for fear of tragic consequences for her and
    her family. So the case was closed. Meanwhile, for Nadia life was unbearable: Maqsood
    beat her and treated her badly, even asking her to convert her parents to
    Islam. After 10 years in December 2011, Nadia found the strength to escape,
    returning home to her parents. However Maqsood returned with a group of armed
    men, threatening to kill and kidnap Nadia’s younger sister. The family then
    fled and turned to the NGO CLAAS (Center for Legal Aid Assistence and
    Settlement) that protects Pakistani Christians. CLAAS has arranged to host
    Nadia and her sister in a hidden place, starting a new criminal case against
    Maqsood. As reported by CLAAS to Fides, Nadia said: “Maqsood made my life
    miserable. I was afraid of being killed because Maqsood knew I was not happy
    with him. I felt totally helpless and I was very confused. Maqsood is inhumane,
    he has ruined my life. Now I have regained hope and even faith”. Nadia’s
    story is exemplary and follows a clichet that is repeated in many other cases,
    like that of Farah Hatim kidnapped and converted to Islam in 2011. Although her
    case was concluded with a statement (forced), made in court, in favor of the
    perpetrator (see Fides 20/7/2011) but some international NGOs reported the
    story to the United Nations (see Fides 22/8/2011). (PA) (Agenzia Fides
    24/01/2012

Related