Government condemns killing of another Nigerian in South Africa
Nigeria has condemned the killing of its citizen, Tochukwu Nnadi in South Africa on December 29, last year.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, yesterday in Abuja described the latest extra-judicial killing in as “worrying and condemnable.”
Dabiri-Erewa said the latest gruesome killing of Tochukwu Nnadi by the police in South Africa was unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria.
The statement signed by her media aide, Mr. Abdur-Rahman Balogun, however, restated President Muhammadu Buhari’s call on Nigerians to avoid crimes like drug peddling, which attracts stiff penalties and sometimes death.
While appealing to Nigerians to avoid crimes, Dabiri-Erewa said the extra-judicial killing was unacceptable. She urged the South African government to ensure that justice prevails by carrying out investigation and bring the culprit to book.
She reiterated her call to Nigerians living abroad to be good ambassadors of Nigeria.
According to eyewitnesses, the man, otherwise known as King Kingsley, did not resist arrest and handcuffed by the police. But one of the officers held onto his neck and squeezed until blood started gushing out.
“My heart goes out to the families of the deceased and pray God to grant the departed soul eternal rest,” the SSA prayed.
The Secretary of the Nigeria Union in Pretoria, Mr. Adetola Olubajo, who confirmed the killing, said in Pretoria: “The Nigeria Union calls on the Nigerian Mission to demand results of investigations of all murder cases involving Nigerian victims from the South African government.”
Olubajo said that the union was not happy that past murder of Nigerians in South Africa was never resolved. “It has brought to 20 in 2016 alone, the number of Nigerians killed in South Africa under cruel circumstances.”
Among such victims were Ikejiaku Chinedu, Monday Okorie, Gideon Ogalaonye, Nnamdi Michael, Adeniyi Olumoko, Christian Onwukaike and the latest, Tochukwu Nnadi.
He said Nigerians were perennial victims of the xenophobia in South Africa, losing more than 4.6 million rand or N90 million during the last attacks.
About 150 South African business organisations, according to the News Agency of Nigeria, are currently operating in Nigeria, despite the former’s allegedly restrictive policies, which have made it difficult for Nigerians to invest in that country.
No Comments yet