Lagos investigates Lekki building collapse, developer in police custody

collapse building lekkiFirm to conduct integrity tests, compensate victims
Indications emerged yesterday that Lagos State government had commenced full-scale investigation into the collapse of a five-storey building belonging to Lekki Gardens at Ikate Elegushi in Lekki area of the state.

The investigation was sequel to the conclusion of rescue operations at the site Wednesday night where 34 bodies were recovered and 13 others rescued.

The General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Michael Akindele, made the disclosures yesterday.
“Rescue operations were concluded at 7.20pm with 34 dead and 13 rescued alive after reaching ground zero.
“Investigation on the cause of the collapse has started by various federal and state agencies,” he stated.

Already, the manager of the company, The Guardian learnt is in police custody in compliance with an earlier order by the state government directing them to report to the police within 24 hours.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Dolapo Badmos, said: “I can confirm that the 34-year- old Managing Director of Lekki Gardens, Richard Nyong, has been arrested. He is in our custody now.”

Meanwhile, the management of Messrs Lekki Worldwide Estate Limited, promoters of Lekki Gardens, has announced plans to conduct integrity test on all its 6,000 units of houses across Lagos, Ogun and Rivers states as well as the Federal Capital territory, Abuja.

The company disclosed that the exact cause of the incident though not yet known, it, however, hinted that its officials were cooperating with the state government and police authorities to unravel the cause of the unfortunate incident.

Spokesman for Lekki Gardens, Azuka Uboh, further stated the company would compensate victims and ensure that the injured were fully taken care of. He disclosed that a register had been opened by the firm to collate statistics of victims and relatives.

Uboh noted his company was unaware that workers were already inhabiting the uncompleted building.
“As regards the said building, investigations are being carried out in line with our usual safety standards, all sites are closed off by 6pm daily and it is mandatory that every worker leaves at that time,” he added.



No Comments yet

Related