Borno District Head appeals to military on Boko Haram
Muhammad made the appeal while receiving Gov. Kashim Shettima, who was on an assessment visit to the community following Friday’s insurgents’ attack, resulting in the death of seven persons, as well as the destruction of property.
He said that such an action was imperative to safeguard the lives and property of the villagers against endless attacks by the insurgents.
Muhammad further urged the governor to influence the deployment of security personnel to the community to help prevent the recurrence of such dastardly attacks.
“Many of our people had fled after they had been traumatized by the attack. But your coming has reassured us of government’s commitment towards securing our lives,” he said.
Muhammad added:“Our basic request now is for government to deploy additional troops and military hardware to safeguard the community from future attacks.
“Once this is provided, we shall persuade those fleeing and even those already in other states, to return to the community”, he said.
Also speaking, Mallam Muhammad Bello, a Local Government Councillor, reiterated the plea of the community leader, saying that once security was guaranteed, those who fled would return.
He said that seven persons who were killed during the attack on Friday, while nine others were injured.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Shettima had expressed sadness over the massive exodus of people from the community, and urged them to return.
He promised that the state government would provide assorted food items to the community to cushion the effect of the attack.
The governor, who was in company of the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Maiduguri, Maj-Gen Lamidi Adeosun, also promised to work towards deploying more troops to the area.
No Comments yet