Calls for my resignation unfair, says Pinnick

Pinnick

Pinnick

The President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick says those calling for his resignation following Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2017 AFCON are ‘very unfair’ knowing the achievements his board had recorded so far.

“I have heard calls by some persons asking me to resign, but that is very unfair knowing the achievements this board has recorded during my tenure,” Pinnick said yesterday.

Shortly after Pinnick took over the mantle of leadership of the NFF, the Super Eagles were bundled out of the 2015 Nations Cup qualifiers. Again on Tuesday, the Eagles failed to book a ticket to Gabon 2017 AFCON after losing 0-1 to the Pharaohs of Egypt.

Pinnick apologised to Nigerians for the failure yesterday, assuring Nigerians that his board had started planning for the 2018 World cup.

“We won the Africa women’s Championship in Namibia, the Fifa Under 17 world cup and we also qualified for almost all major competitions during this period. All we require from you is your continued support as we thrive to reposition the game at all levels. I was elected by the congress with a four-year tenure and it will be very unfair for anyone to ask for my resignation.

“
The NFF is investing seriously in grassroots football and is presently scouting for youth talents in all states of the federation. My first vice president Seyi Akinwunmi is presently in charge of this project and hopefully, we will get there. 
Before we go, we will once again like to use this platform to apologise to all of you and to Nigerians over our failure to qualify for the Nations Cup, but will also like to enjoin everyone to always pray for the board as we work on a new template on moving the game forward.

Speaking further, Pinnick said: “I want to use this platform to first of all appreciate the media for the immense support you have given this board in our short but very turbulent journey. We feel very pained just like you that we could not secure the Nations cup ticket despite the great efforts and sacrifice we made at achieving success.

“We really had to go out of our way to secure a chartered flight despite the difficulties involved. We didn’t go to Egypt with the intention to loose but we have accepted our fate in good faith knowing the circumstances that led to our ouster. Luck didn’t play out on our side in Kaduna and in Alexandria we were left wondering why that Victor Moses effort didn’t go it. It was a painful exit but we have learnt our lessons and we are back home to plan.

“Before this meeting with the media, I had a private meeting with the honourable minister on the way forward and we have agreed to have a consultative meeting on Tuesday next week to proffer solutions to the many problems confronting the game. 
We are very impressed with what we saw in Egypt and we are convinced more than ever before that we have a very robust future.

“On Sunday Oliseh, we have no regrets employing him because he came highly recommended like any other Nigerian and we gave him a four years plan hoping that he will return our football to glory days,” the NFF boss added.



No Comments yet

Related