The fruit of the Holy Spirit
Memory Verse: If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5: 25. Bible Passage: Galatians 5:13-26.
LAST week, we learnt about the baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues. This, we said, is for all believers. The direct result of baptism is the manifestation of The fruit of the Holy Spirit, Who now dwells in and with us. This opens up an exciting brand new world in the supernatural realm of signs, wonders, and miracles. It is the outcome of the Holy Ghost acting through the baptised believer.
Always remember that it is one and only one fruit. It is, however, made up of nine different distinct parts. Galatians 5:21-23 lists the nine.
• Love: Treating others and doing unto others, as unto yourself, I john.4: 7.
• Joy: This is more than just happiness, which usually depends on circumstances, events and feelings. Joy is deep-rooted gladness that is irrepressible and not affected by changes in fortune, Phil.4: 4.
• Peace: This is the quiet peace of God beyond human understanding, Col 3:15.
• Long suffering: The fortitude to bear the brunt of unfair treatment without murmuring, 1 Cor.13: 4-7, 2Cor.6: 4-6.
• Gentleness: This is even-tempered kindness without the slightest hint of aggression, 2 Tim.2: 24-26.
•Goodness: This is going about doing nothing, but good, Exo.33: 19, Eph.5: 9.
• Faith: Unwavering confidence in God and His words, Heb.11: 6.
•Meekness: The grace to suffer injuries, 2 Tim.2: 25, Ps.25: 9.
•Temperance: Self-control, and moderation. No indulgence in the natural appetites, and passion of man, such as, the taste buds, sex, entertainment, Prov.23: 1-3, Dan.1: 8, Phil.4: 5.
We can only bear the fruit of the Spirit, if we die to the world and all pleasures carnal, John.12: 24. Many are fruitless, because they are being controlled and driven by the pleasures of the flesh and the passion thereof. It is only the new life in Christ, filled with the Holy Spirit that is capable of bringing forth good fruit to the glory of God, Gal.2: 20, 2 Cor.5: 17.
A tree is known by its fruit. A believer is equally known by the fruit of the Holy Spirit he bears, Matt.12: 33, Num.13: 26. The flesh will always resist the spirit and vice versa. In a sense, this battle is for life. However, we can and we will subdue the flesh and its lusts and passion in the mighty name of Jesus.