Ayaraya Ji (Yam And Pigeon Peas)
This one delicacy should not be missed when you visit the east (Nsukka-Enugu). If you love beans and yam, you will definitely love this. If you are yet to have a taste, do not hesitate to do so and you will be left longing for more.
- Fio-fio ( Pigeon peas)
- A tuber of Yam ( Old yam. New yam is not suitable for it)
- 3-4 Onion bulbs
- 2 cups pf Palm Oil
- One teaspoon of Uziza seed or leaf
- Destone the pigeon peas and put in a pot of boiling water.
- Allow to cook until soft
- Cut your yam and put into the pot of boiling fio-fio and allow the water to cook the yam.
Add salt to it so that it will penetrate into the fio-fio.
- When cooked, set aside
- For the sauce, pour the quantity of palm oil you need into a pot. When it is hot (not bleached), put the already sliced onion and blended pepper into it. After 2 minutes, add the already pounded uziza seed.
- After 1 minute, add salt ( bearing in mind that you have added salt to the yam and fio-fio), seasoning. Add your ukpaka/Ugba and stir.
- (If you are cooking with Uziza leaf, add this after 1 minute and leave to steam)
- Pour the sauce into the ayaraya ji and stir. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.