Step By Step Guide On Preparing Bini Owo Soup
The Beni Owo soup is a traditional soup of the Southern region of Nigeria. It is a delicacy enjoyed by the people of Benin, Delta, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Isoko. It is easy to prepare and can be eaten with Yam, Plantain, Sweet potatoes, Boiled bananas, or any soup of your choice. Best part is, most of the ingredients are in your kitchen.
- Dried or Smoked fish (as desired)
- Palm oil
- Goat meat or assorted meat
- Cray fish
- 1 handful of dried prawns
- Potash (akaun)
- Half tea spoon
- Fresh or dried pepper
- 1 onion bulb (chopped)
- 5 fresh tomatoes (grounded) or 1 cup of tomato puree
- 1 Seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
- Wash and put the meat in a pot, add the chopped onion, seasoning cube
and salt to taste. Allow to boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the smoked fish and prawns into the pot. Also the tomatoes, pepper and crayfish and leave to boil for 10 minutes (taste for salt).
- Stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Dissolve the potash powder in hot water. Strain a little and carefully add the liquid into the pot. Leave to cook for a few minutes. (You’ll notice the thickness of the soup as a result of the potash).
- Finally, add the palm oil and allow to cook then stir.
- Serve with any swallow of your choice, yam or plantain.