Bayelsa girl reunites with family today



• AIG moves victim, Yunusa to police hqrs
• Dickson pledges to rehabilitate abducted girl
• Sanusi did not approve Ese’s forced marriage, says emirate council
The Force Headquarters yesterday disclosed that the police had shifted the handover day of Ese Oruru today to calm the media exposure the teenage girl had received so far.A source said the police would hand over the girl to her family earlier in the morning when journalists are not present.

Meanwhile, the Kano Emirate Council has refuted the allegation that the Emir of Kano, Mallam Muhammadu Sanusi II endorsed the marriage of Ese Oruru and Yunusa Yellow.

Stating the council’s position during a press briefing yesterday at the emir’s palace, the Wali Kano, Alhaji Mahe Bashir Wali, also stated that Ese has never been in the custody of the emir or any official of the emirate council.

The Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 1, Shuaibu Lawan Gambo, told journalists in his office that Ese Oruru and his suitor have been transferred to the force headquarters, Abuja.

The AIG noted that their transfer followed the directive received from the police headquarters for further investigation. Recounting the development, Wali confirmed that the emir of Kano first received the case of the young girl on 11th of August, 2015 when the district head of Kura where Yunusa resides informed the monarch about the planned marriage.

He told journalists that the emir was informed that Ese’s life was being threatened after she accepted Islam and alleging that her parents may kill her for compromising her faith.

According to Wali, after receiving this report the emir directed the AIG in charge of Zone 1 to ensure her safety.Meanwhile, Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has pledged to support every effort to re-unite Ese Oruru with her family in Yenagoa, and also rehabilitate and reintegrate her into the society.

Dickson, who expressed regret over the abduction of the teenager from Yenagoa to Kano and forced into marriage, called on parents and guardians “to be extremely vigilant, especially in monitoring the activities of their children so that they do not fall victim to the antics of mischief makers.”

When the reporter visited Ese’s family house at Opolo, a suburb of Yenagoa metropolis yesterday, only the father and some family members were at home waiting for the girl’s arrival, while a source said her mother has gone to Abuja to ensure her daughter was handed over to her.

Kano State government has however expressed displeasure over the role played by security agencies concerned in Ese Oruru’s abduction saga.

A press release issued by the state Commissioner of Information, Youths, Sports and Culture, Malam Muhammad Garba, described the way police and state security services handled the situation as inappropriate.

“More worrying and disturbing is the inappropriate handling of the issue by the authorities concerned, including the police and the Department of State Services, particularly following the directive and request by His Highness, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, that the girl be taken back to Yenagoa and handed over to her parents immediately, since August when the matter was brought to his attention,” added the release.The police prevented journalists from taking photographs of the teenager at the Force Headquarters.

Since arrival from Kano, Ese has been kept away from prying eyes in one of the conference rooms on the 7th floor of the Force Headquarters, awaiting the arrival of her mother.

Although the Police authorities prevented reporters from even seeing her, it appears she was ignorant of the controversy her short sojourn in Kura local council of Kano state, under the guise of an unlawful cohabitation with her alleged abductor, Yunusa Yellow.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet