Bombed Brussels metro station re-opens
The Brussels metro station where 16 people were killed by a suicide bomber last month has re-opened.
A bomb was detonated on board a train pulling out of Maelbeek station, close to the European institutions, in the morning rush hour on March 22. The attack followed suicide bombs at Brussels airport, which also killed 16.
People can write their tributes to the victims on a commemorative wall inside Maelbeek station.
The metro system is now fully open.
The Brussels public transport authority (Stib) said that military and police officers would be present to “ensure the security of the entire network”.
The metro would be running to the same timetable as before the attacks; however, the number of entry points is limited to one or two per station, Stib said. Since the attacks, the metro system had been running from 06:00 to 22:00 but yesterday resumed its normal hours of 04:30 to 00:30.
No Comments yet