Ese Oruru’s abductor to be prosecuted – Police
Mr Shuaibu Gambo, the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 1, Kano, said the abductor of Miss Ese Oruru would be prosecuted.
Gambo gave the assurance while addressing a news conference in Kano on Thursday.
He said the abductor of the girl, popularly known as Yunusa Yellow, must face the full wrath of the law in order to serve as deterrent to others who might contemplate committing the same offence.
“The action of Yunusa is a criminal offence. So, he must be prosecuted in accordance with the law of the land,” he said.
He said all those who played any role in the mishandling of the case would also be prosecuted as the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, had already ordered a full scale investigation into the matter.
He, however, exonerated the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, from complicity in the abduction saga.
“Another aspect of this press briefing is to put on record that the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammad Sanusi II, had indeed directed that the abducted girl be returned to her parents in Bayelsa, as far back as August 2015.
“Information as obtained from my predecessor, AIG Tambari Yabo, confirmed that His Royal Highness actually sent a delegation, with a letter requesting the police to take back the girl to her parents,” he said.
He, however, explained that the delegation in the company of the girl had arrived very late in the evening to the zone, but that it was agreed by all parties to bring her back the following day to implement the request of the monarch.
“Giving the benefit of hindsight, it is evident that there was a failure of communication as the delegation never returned with the girl for onward transportation to her family and no further report of complaint, whatsoever was received in respect of the case,” he said.