Metro  

Fire razes building in Lagos, kills octogenarian

The burnt building

The burnt building

An early morning fire yesterday razed a building at No. 5, Aborishade Close, Lawanson area of Lagos State and burnt an octogenarian, Mr. Godwin Oyia, to death.The incident, sources say was caused by an electric device used for boiling water popularly called ‘boiling ring’, which was left unattended to, in the deceased’s room.

Emergency workers drawn from the state fire service and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) finally put out the wild fire.Confirming the incident, LASEMA General Manager, Mr. Michael Akindele, said the agency received a distress call at the fire service and responded immediately.

“This prompted the activation of the agency’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) to the scene. According to an investigation carried out by the agency’s ERT, it was discovered that a boiling ring, which was being used at the last room on the top floor led to the outbreak of fire that engulfed the whole building.

“Unfortunately, a man aged 80 and identified as Godwin Oyia, lost his life to the inferno as he was burnt dead in the room where the fire started from.“The entire top floor of the building was completely burnt down, however, the ground floor was salvaged by the combined efforts of the agency’s ERT, the Nigeria Red Cross and the Lagos State Fire Service (Isolo, Alausa and Ilupeju divisions).

“The dead body was recovered and handed over to the Nigeria Police Force. A proper investigation would be conducted on the incident but Lagosians should ensure safety by switching off all electrical appliances when not in use at home or in the office.”

In this article:
LASEMAMr. Godwin Oyia
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421


No Comments yet

Related