NIGERIAN Fish Rolls is a deep fried crunchy Nigerian snack made with flour, margarine, egg and baking powder, and then filled with mashed spiced fish. Fish Rolls are big favourite and usually eaten on its own, as a snack or enjoyed with a chilled or hot drink.
• 350 grams flour
• 100 grams margarine
• 1 raw egg
• 1 teaspoonful baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoonful salt
• 1/2 cup water (or enough to get a smooth, firm dough)
• Fresh mackerel fish
• Vegetable oil for frying
•First, season the fresh fish with a little salt and fry lightly; then remove the bones and mash well.
• In a bowl, add the flour, salt, baking powder and margarine; mix well and add the egg then mix thoroughly.
• Now, add the water bit by bit, and knead the dough until you get a smooth, but firm dough.
• Next, place the dough on a flat board/table and cut out a bit. Using a rolling pin, roll out the small dough until it’s flat and then cut to form a rectangular shape.
• Now add the mashed fish and fold/roll the dough. Keep rolling it until you get the length you desire.
• Heat the oil until hot (not smoking hot) and fry the fish rolls on low heat until it’s crusty and brown.
• Now the fish rolls are ready…Enjoy!