Ikeja bomb blasts: Victims’ families decry delayed compensation
Fifteen years after the Ikeja Military Cantonment bomb blasts in Lagos, some victims’ families yesterday tasked the federal and Lagos State governments on the delay in the payment of the compensation promised them.
Speaking at the site of the mass burial in Oke-Afa, Isolo Council, where prayers were offered for the souls of the departed, Chairman of the victims’ families, Nurudeen Oyegbemi, said the Lagos State government paid compensation to 70 families of victims, but excluded 84 others.
He recounted: “When the incident happened, we were told that those that lost their loved ones should register their names with the state government. “The following year, the federal government invited us to the National Assembly and gave N500, 000 to those that lost their beloved ones, while N250, 000 was given to the victims’ families that got missing.
“They made us to understand that the monies given were just relief packages, adding that they would soon compensate us adequately.“After 10 years, the Lagos State government, out of the 154 victims’ families, gave only 70 families N250, 000, while the remaining 84 were left behind and since then, they have not done anything about it,” Oyegbemi bemoaned.The Jan. 27, 2002 bomb blasts led to the deaths of over 1000 persons and left many others injured, following a stampede as a result of the blasts.
No comments yet