INEC denies allegation of ballot box snatching, gunshots
The Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) has denied report of ballot box snatching and gunshots in some polling centres during the Edo governorship election on Wednesday.
Gov. Adams Oshiomhole had earlier said he received a report that some thugs allegedly snatched ballot boxes at Opoji in Esan North-East Local Government Area during the election.
Oshiomhole also alleged that the suspected snatchers shot sporadically before taking away the ballot boxes.
Mr Nick Dazang, INEC Deputy Director of Voter Education and Publicity, made the denial in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) on Wednesday.
“I just called Mr Solomon Soyebi, who is the National Commissioner supervising the election and has denied the allegation of gunshots and ballot box snatching at Opoji in Esan North-East Local Government Area of the state,” Dazang said.
On the reported accident involving a youths corps member serving with INEC, Dazang said he had not heard “any such sad news”, but promised to get back to our Correspondent “if there is anything like that’’.