Sambo Dasuki regains freedom after four years in detention
Former Nigeria National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd), has been released from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS) after over four years in detention.
Dasuki was released by the DSS on Tuesday in Abuja, following the directives of the Federal Government.
Nigeria’s justice minister and attorney general of the federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami earlier in the day ordered Dasuki’s release alongside Sahara Reporters publisher Omoyele Sowore.
“I have directed the State Security Services (DSS) to comply with the order granting bail to the Defendants and effect their release,” Malami said in a statement.
Malami said the decision to release them was in compliance with the bail granted to both Dasuki and Sowore by the different courts.
Dasuki, who served as national security adviser under former President Goodluck Jonathan, had been in detention for over four years despite four court orders, including an ECOWAS court granting him bail since June 2015.
He is facing trial for alleged misappropriation of N19.4 billion arms funds while in government.
The Court of Appeal in Abuja in July 2019 declared that the continued detention of Dasuki by the DSS was illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional.
The former NSA’s lawyer Ahmed Raji confirmed his release Tuesday evening.
No comments yet