News  |  World  |  Africa  

South Africa rebukes US, Britain over ‘terror’ alert

Zuma

Zuma

The South African government reacted angrily Wednesday to warnings by the United States and Britain about possible imminent “terrorist” attacks by Islamic extremists in the country’s major cities.

Without naming the countries, a strongly-worded statement described the warnings as “alarmist” and said diplomatic action had been taken to register South Africa’s “displeasure”.

The US said Saturday it had received information that “terrorist groups” were planning to carry out attacks in upmarket shopping malls in South Africa during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

Britain issued a similar alert two days later.

“The information provided as a basis for the latest terror alerts on South Africa has been found to be very sketchy,” the government said in a statement.

“We have found the information to be dubious, unsubstantiated and provided by a ‘walk-in’ source based on questionable conclusions.”

South Africa rejected “attempts to generate perceptions of government ineptitude, alarmist impressions and public hysteria on the basis of a questionable single source,” it said.

“The South African government has demarched the affected embassies to register our displeasure,” the statement added.

The US and British embassies were not immediately available for comment.

South Africa, which has a Muslim minority of around 1.5 percent in a population of some 53 million, has so far escaped the jihadist attacks seen in several other African countries.




  • asuevie

    ”South Africa rejected “attempts to generate perceptions of government
    ineptitude, alarmist impressions and public hysteria on the basis of a
    questionable single source,” it said.

  • nana

    eh…South African government don’t do anything, the American & British government are going to quietly remove their people from their embassy in your country and they will strongly advised their own citizens on their temporary restricted movement whilst they continuously survey the situation. You stay there and be shouting foul till something happens and you will go back and be begging for aid.

    After receiving such dubious and unsubstantiated information what did the south African government do with it. who or where did they confirm that this was only an alarmist impression. obviously no where because that is how you refute a statement by counteracting with your own sourced information.

    • Emeka

      I have been going through all your contributions. They are intelligent, smooth and easy to read and understand, sometimes funny. You referred to our V.P. as Boy-Boy, a derogatory way of describing a servant. Good for him but the small boy is very brilliant though and will always find some words to offer even when he was not given any brief. Keep the contributions coming my dear nana.

      • nana

        thanks Emeka, i agree it was derogatory term because that’s how I feel about our vice president and I have given up on waiting to see him stamp his own personality and mark on how history views him. I guess he is just satisfied for his name to be written as a VP who spoke eloquent speeches at the drop of an ear infection. As for my contributions they are my only angry outlet at the slow realization that the Nigerian newspapers are full of BS that our leaders wrap in big big words that means absolutely nothing to even the less common intelligent people.

You may also like