Tragic end of 50-year-old plumber



family of Ojanehin looked forward with great hope to the birthday of their breadwinner, Kehinde Oluwanisola Ojanehin, which was supposed to take place on July 20, 2015.

Unfortunately, the unexpected death happened to Ojanehin who was born five decades ago in Ilaje village, Ondo State.
In preparation for his birthday, the family had bought two live chickens, which they started nursing six months ago, with the hope of using them to celebrate Kehinde Ojanehin’s 50th birthday. 
Kehinde, as he was fondly called by friends and loved ones, was a professional plumber.
He had left his Isheri Oshun abode in Lagos, on Saturday, July 18, to work for a customer in Ejigbo area, Lagos. Unfortunately, while washing a water tanker hung on a custom-made scaffolding, he reportedly lost balance on the ladder and fell, hitting his head on the concrete ground. He was rushed to the Isolo General Hospital, where doctors battled in vain to resuscitate him.
Meanwhile, his wife, Mrs. Alaba Ojanehin, who was awaiting his arrival from work that day, was reportedly getting agitated following delay in his husband’s return. This was because she had prepared cassava meal popularly called eba while waiting for her husband who had promised to return early with the ingredients for soup. The sound of a motorbike was heard outside. Apparently thinking it was her husband, Mrs.

Ojanehin told one of her children to go and collect the bag from him. But before the child could step outside, the passengers on the motorbike entered. They were members of Four Square Gospel Church, Jakande branch, where the Ojanehin’s worship.
The visitors were said to have cajoled the woman into following them to her sister’s place where the news of her husband’s demise was broken. 
When The Guardian visited her home, Mrs. Ojanehin spoke amidst tears.

“We never envisaged this kind of tragedy would befall us. My husband left home that fateful morning at about 7.00am, promising to come back. But he never did. The most painful aspect is that he would have been 50 years next week. We were planning for the celebration. He promised to make the celebration low key, with members of his family. He had boasted in his characteristic manner that we would all enjoy that today. He planned celebrating it here (pointing to the sitting room). He said he would be the one to kill the fowls we have been rearing towards the celebration, unknown to us that he would not live.
“On that fateful day, he left the house at about 7am, after our morning devotion. He said he would buy ingredients to cook soup on his way back. He usually came back around 5am. At his usual time of arrival, the children went outside to wait for him. At the sound of a motorbike, they rushed outside thinking he was the one, until some leaders in my church came. They informed me that my husband was involved in an accident and took me to my sister’s place where they dropped the bombshell.” She said.
According to her, “I do not know where to begin from. This tragedy has plunged us into sorrow. It has also saddled me with the responsibility of taking care of four children alone, a task that we were barely managing as a couple. Our first child, Daniel, 13, is in Junior Secondary School 2. Tobi is our second child, he is 11 and in JSS 1. Victor 9, is in primary 3 while Samuel 5, is in nursery 1.
“They are all in private schools and my husband did all he could to ensure that he did not default in their school fees. He paid a total of N60, 000 as school fees for four of them. But now that he is no more, I do not know where to start from.” 
She described her husband as an easy -going man stressing that she would forever miss him in all things.
His words: “ My husband was a loving man. He was kind and prayerful. These were some of the attributes I saw in him that made me marry him. I married him as a plumber in 2001.”
The incident, as gathered, was reported at the Ejigbo Police division where it is being investigated.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet