Two trapped, die In underground fuel tank in Lagos
Tragedy struck in the early hours of yesterday when two workers of Fagbems Filling Station, Ojodu, Lagos, got trapped and died in an underground petrol tank.
The two victims, Adekunle Ipaye and the other, simply known as ‘United’, got trapped during an early morning cleaning and renovation exercise of the station located at Oando bus-stop, Berger.
The Guardian gathered that Ipaye and United died of suffocation and poisonous gas emission from the tank.
Emergency Response Team of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) confirmed that the incident occurred around 6am, while the duo were at work.
Experts have warned that health effects from exposure to petroleum products vary depending on the concentration of the substance and the length of time one is exposed to it.
Breathing petroleum vapors can cause nervous system effects (such as headache, nausea, and dizziness) and respiratory irritation. Very high exposure can cause coma and death.
The Lagos State Fire Services and LASEMA Emergency Response Team recovered the two bodies of the two victims around 8am and immediately confirmed them dead.
The bodies have been evacuated by State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit (SEHMU) to the Lagos Mainland Hospital Mortuary, while the Police from Ojodu Police Station and the LASAMBUS were also on ground.
General Manager LASEMA, Michael Akindele, said proper investigation would be conducted to ascertain what led to the incident.
Akindele, however, warned contractors to use right safety equipment and also adhere to other safety precautions while carrying out underground cleaning and other duties.