Presidency ‘rejects’ N750,000 a player for Eaglets
A much lower proposal of 150,000 Naira per player of the victorious Golden Eaglets has been tabled by the sports ministry after a proposal of 750,000 Naira-a-player was rejected by the country’s Presidency as “too much”.
According to Mtnfootball.com, it has already been reported that the federal government has rejected an initial proposal by the sports ministry to reward the Eaglets after they won a fifth FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile last month.
This week the government of President Muhammadu Buhari has warned that next year will be rough for the country because of the poor economy and has moved to cut back drastically on government spending.
It would therefore be seen as double standards if the government now splashes a fortune on the schoolboy stars.
“The proposal has been reviewed after the first rejection. We wait for the green light from the presidency on the date for the reception and the reward,” a sports ministry official told Mtnfootball.com.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles, who are preparing for next month’s CHAN in Rwanda, have granted U-23 stars Usman Mohammed and Bature Yaro a week’s break after their return from the U-23 AFCON in Senegal.
“We have given Usman (Mohammed) and Bature Yaro one-week break after which they will rejoin us,” said Eagles assistant coach Salisu Yusuf, who is holding forte for ailing coach Sunday Oliseh.
League hotshot Gbolahan Salami and Warri Wolves defender Solomon Kwambe were also given compassionate leave by the team to account for their absence.
Yusuf further revealed they plan to have a look at a number of U23 players who were not called up for the training camp after what they showed at the U23 AFCON in Senegal.
“We saw some players in the U23s and we plan to call them after a meeting with the head coach,” he said.