Excelling as a team – Part 2
Text Genesis 11:1-9; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; Nehemiah 4:6
Key Verse: Genesis 11:6, “Look!” he said. “The people are united, and they all speak the same language. After this, nothing they set out to do will be impossible for them!” (NLT).
Teamwork is a joint intellectual enterprise to achieve a common goal. Teachings promoting the explosive power of teamwork in our Families, Churches, Communities and Workplace cannot be overemphasised, because teamwork helps to get the work done faster and with ease.
You cannot grow a successful organisation, be it church or any other body without leveraging on the power of teamwork. Teamwork makes the Dream Work. You cannot grow a Church into a Mega Church without the power of teamwork. No one man can grow a successful organisation.
A farmer noticed a highway department truck pulling over onto the road shoulder. A man got out and dug a hole, then got back into the truck. Then the other occupant got out, filled up the hole and got back in the truck. Every fifty yards this amazing process was repeated. ’What are you doing?’ the farmer asked. The driver replied, ’We’re on a highway beautification project, and the guy who plants the trees is home sick today.’ What’s the bottom line (morale)? No Unity, no Productivity!
God blesses those who work together in unity. Psalm 133:1 said, “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Great TEAMWORK makes things happen more than anything else in organisations – more than skill, qualifications or money! A well-known football manager once commented in an interview, “It’s easy to get good players. It’s getting them to play together, that’s the hard part!”
According to Daniel Harman, “True teamwork is a two way street: Reaching out to help colleagues and also being open and receptive to help when it’s offered.” Don’t be a lone ranger in your organisation, leverage on the skills and abilities of other team members to become better skilled.
In the Beginning, God said to Adam, ‘it is not good that man should be alone’, Nehemiah rebuilt the broken wall of Jerusalem in 52 days with a team, Joshua had a team of 12 leaders of the 12 tribes of Israel around him and Jesus had 12 Disciples.
• Self-centredness: A spirit of self-centredness will inhibit teamwork.
• People who will not work . . . Will not carry their part of the load . . . Will hinder the teamwork spirit.
• Critical Spirit: People who possess a critical spirit will hinder teamwork. For example Sanballat’s spirit. Sanballat is an enemy of revival and brings strong opposition to what God wants to build. Sanballat is a critical persecutor, who brings false accusations against the work and the people putting their hand to the plow. And Sanballat will rally others like Tobiahs and Geshems to the opposition against you, just like he did to Nehemiah.
The spirit of Sanballat’s goal is to discourage you—to get you to quit what God has called you to do. Someone flowing in this spirit may even offer to come alongside and help you, but the intentions are to tear down—not build up—the figurative wall God is calling you to build.
• People who seek to be preeminent: will hinder the harmony of teamwork. We read of such a man in the New Testament 3 John verse 9 called Diotrephes. Paul described Diotrephes as a person who loves to have the preeminence (to be a leader) among the brethren, but he does not support the work of the ministry. He had a Sanballat Spirit, because not only that he refuses to help the work of the ministry, but discourages others by making false accusations so as not to support either. When some members try to resist him by helping the work of the ministry, he punished them (he puts them out of the church) verse 10.
Paul also commended Gaius and Demetrius for his good team spirit and for upholding the truth of the Holy Writ.
• I Must be King Mentality: Simply wait for your turn and lend your support to the work of the ministry meanwhile. Godly service guarantees promotion at the end.
Today’s Nugget: God blesses those who work together in unity.
Prayer: Lord, help me build a good team spirit.
Prayer line: Send text only to 09078154261.
Dr. Chidi Okoroafor
Assemblies of God Nigeria
No comments yet